Welcome to Saurabh Garg's weBLOG

Management Development Institute, Gurgaon better known as MDI Gurgaon is one of the premier BSchools in India. I would be spending some time here for my PGPM course. This weBLOG would share the incidents and memories of the place.

Please note that the views presented herein are MY PERSONAL VIEWS and should not be taken as a general opinion.


A Free Bird
Posted on: Sunday, August 22, 2004

Its beeen atleast a month since I have been trying to add an entry to the blog. There are a million things I can talk about and I can't seem to add an entry in the blog.

So I have some time before I sleep today and here is my contribution for the day. If at all anyone reads this COMPLETELY, please send me a mail @ saurabh.garg@gmail.com and I would send a quiz to complete ;) Actually I don't believe that people would have time to read my blog. Anyways here is comes...

So the reason I have some spare time is that my exams aka MID TERMS are gettting over tomorrow. Tomorow we have Oral Comunications and Presentation Skills Paper and as far as I know, I know quite a fwe things about it and I should'nt really study. We have seven papers of one credit each. Mid Terms started on Monday and we had two papers on a day and they passed in a jiffy. One thing great about a B School is that life is very fast. The time runs so fast that you don't even realize when you got bald and when two years got over.

Anyways exams was a sad story. As usual I did'nt study the way I should have. I did the badly and anyone can guess my scores. There are fwe things that I have learnt from the Mid Terms. I could be one of those gurus and share my global gyaan bout em... but at a later stage. I have got more important stuff to write.

So exams, I realized who was a good friend and who was'nt. There would be some people who irrespective of their condition and preparation level would help you out and there would be few who won't want to help at all. I dunno if I can call them friends but am really impressed by some people. It would be worth mentioning there names here. I am very honourd to be studying with Ketan, Nishant, Pushkar, Ridhima, Samidha, Sandeep, Satyajeet, Saurabh. These guys never ever refused anyone for anything someone might need.

After that senti stuff, lets get to the funny side of the exams. The paper begins at 10:15 in the morning and we are recquired to be in the hall at 10:05. One fine day, we had some paper and it was 10:10, we realized that Mr. Sandeep Agarwal (the guy who posted the Mother Diary write-up) was missing from the hall. We could'nt figure out what might have hapened to him and where would he be. We missed called him n number of times and he won't pick da phone. Suddenly someone thinks that he might be sleeping and then one person goes running to the hostel to find him. He is found sleeping in his room with no worries of any sort. Finally he is brought into the exmination hall at around 10:25 and finally he manages to take the paper. Moral of the story... Buy an Alarm Clock !

Sandeep also happens to be a member of the "Constitutional bench of the Supreme Court" of PG04 Section A (people here have been divided into two sections with 61 students each and I happen to be in section A). The other "judges" of the "constitutional bench" are Satyadeep Gandhi, Myself, Saurabh S. Gupta and Sharad Gupta (4 out of 5 are baniyas ;)). For the unlearned, a "baniya" is a special class of people in India who are supposed to be good at making money.

At MDI, the way we sit in the lecture hall is pre decided and everyone sits according to the enrollment number. My number happens to be 50 and yes its cool :D. So the bench I sit on houses people from number 48 to 52. We sit on the second last row in the lecture hall and it gives us a lot of oppurtunities to unleash ourselves. So why are we called The Constituional Bench? Once we were sitting in a class and getting bored of the lecture, so the creative geniuses of the five people sitting on the bench thought of taking out an opinion poll. We took out the poll and everyone in the class sorta liked it. The very next day we were taught about the Constitutional Bench of the Supreme Court and we decided to call ourselves The Bench. Another name came out. Me being a John Grisham Fan, decided to call us Brethren as we decided petty issues with these polls. These polls are a big hit and everyone still enjoys it and we get to test our creativity skills with em. The reason for me writing about it that from Friday onwards, The Bench would be broken. The seating order is reversed after the Mid Terms and people are now made to sit in decreasing order. Effectively we would be sitting on the second bench and we would no longer be sitting on the same bench. I would miss the fun we had on the bench :(

Now since I have touched polls, let me complete the poll thingy. The poll is made on a sheet of paper with a question on it. Then we add few options and we pass along to let everyone add their votes and add options. Few questions from the poll that I remember are "Who is the most effective sleeping pill in the class?" with options as people who would talk and make no sense, another was "Who should go and take a bath?" with options as people who stink, another was "Whos got the crush on the Madam X" with unlimited options and Madam X not defined.

MDI has a excellent Music Society called Mandolins. They have EXPERT people with them. No one can sing better than Sowmya and Prakash, play better keyboard than Abhik, make better sounds with computer keyboard than me ;), play better saxophone than Karishma, play beter guitar thar Rahul Raj Singh. There are so many talented people, if I started writing their names here, it would take me atleast an hour to jot down stuff and beleive me that hour would be worth spent. I would try to do it at some other time but abhi let me try to add things that would add more dimensions to my experience at MDI. Before that, one name deserves a special mention. Prakash. He is one of the people who can sing really really well. He can play guitar, drums, flute, you name it and he plays it. He is from some North-Eastern state and the problem he faces is the lyrics. He does'nt knows the lyrics of many hindi songs yet he is able to substitue some words and sing them perfectly. I can't explain it on words. You have to listen to him to know what kinda talent he is. I have got a few videos of him singing and would try to post them if someone could donate me about 30 Megs of webspace and few gigs of bandwidth. Oh did I mention that he works in the Mess here?

MDI campus is very very beautiful. It is spread over an area of about 40 acres and is very scenic. None of the building has more than three floors. This adds to the beauty of the landscaping. We have huge trees lining up the roads and pathways. The campus is surrouned by the Golf Course on two sides. Its all open and green. Another thing to boast about would be the view and feel of the campus in the rains. When it rains, everything is so beautiful and refreshing. When it rains, the weather is already very pleasant and on top of it we have the beautiful MDI campus. I would say the sight of the MDI campus in rains should not be missed by any one.

One thing good about MDI is that apart from academics we get to do a lot of stuff. There are so many events and oppurtunites for people to explore and develop themselves. If one is interested in academic reaseach, we ave Delphique for him. If one is interested in cultural events, Imperium and for all those people who live, eat and sleep fun and hard work, we have Illumina.

Delphique is an Management Convention where people from industry come and help us know more. For Delphique, students at MDI research on a particular theme and write papers on it. They would carry out research for three long months working atleast 4 hours a day, finding about the topic chosen and prepare a discussion material. Then this discussion would be opened in front of the CEOs and VPs and MDs of the huge companies and then they would give their perspective. This event lasts for two days and after two days you come out more knowledgble than your entire two year stint at a BSchool. Last year's website can be located at http://www.mdi-delphique.com.

Imperium happens to be our inter BSchool Cultural festival. We invite students from all over the country and they all come and have fun of their lives. Last year there were Parikrama and Jagjit Singh on campus and boy was it fun. From the pics and videos of the last years Imperium, I envy my seniors and wonder if I was there last year, what would it be like. I really wanted to be there...

And last but not the least we have Illumina the Diwali Mela. Diwali is one time of the year when everyone is so happy and in the best of their spirits. We celebrate Diwali like no other BSchool. We have a fun day Diwali Mela where people living near MDI come and enjoy. We have regular stalls like food, games, quizzes etc. Every one across evert age group gets something or the other to make him happy.

And sudddenly I realize that this post is getting long and I should stop writing cos its hurting my eyes, my fingers, my brains, my ...

Comments
Comments: Post a Comment

End Of A Free Bird, Posted by SG

Main Bhartiya Hoon
.

Welcome

to MDI Gurgaon

Saurabh Garg Space

People

Saurabh Garg Space

Link Backs @ MDI

Saurabh Garg Space

Saurabh Garg Space

Stuff to be BLOGged !

Induction
Saurabh Garg Space

SAURABH GARG

Disclaimer: Please note that the views presented herein are MY PERSONAL VIEWS and should not be taken as a general opinion.